My Thoughts On Growth Mindset

Growth Mindset

I have just watched the Carol Dweck videos about growth mindset and am very interested in what she had to say.

This was my first time coming across Carol Dweck but I enjoyed listening to her and will be doing further research on her by listening to more of her talks. She was very informative and her voice was very easy to listen to. 

After watching the videos I thought about where I would be on the spectrum of growth-fixed mindset. I thought back to when I was in school and realised I had a very fixed mindset. I was afraid of getting things wrong and I never done any extra study when I knew I understood something. Whatever I was learning was the most of my ability and I did not further my intelligence. But, this has changed since starting college. Now I understand that the more I learn the more I grow. I am not afraid to try new things and make mistakes because I know I will always learn from my mistakes. 

This made me think about how schools today really do reward intelligence and not effort. Students are always praised when they get the answer right. If effort and progression were rewarded as much as getting something right, more and more people would have a growth mindset. I believe the idea of something being too easy means you haven't learned enough should be pushed on children at a young age so that they grow wanting to challenge themselves and learn more.

I really loved the idea of the "not yet" grade. I believe that if I was graded with this it would give me the confidence to better myself and improve the grade. It means that you're not quite there yet but you will be if you keep trying. 

I thought about how the growth mindset does not only have to be applied to education. I could relate this mindset in my part time job to better myself as an employee and do help myself become higher in management.

I would love to learn more about growth mindset this semester as I think it is something that would help us for the rest of our lives. There is constantly an opportunity to learn so by having a growth mindset just means you will always take the opportunity. I agree that learning about growth mindset would not only benefit us in this module and our other modules but it would also benefit us in everyday life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Zoe

My Favourite Game

First Impressions on Technology Tools and Course Websites